Pages

About Me

My photo
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
My hero, Superman. Want to be just like him, save the world, beginning with improving myself constantly!

Friday, March 5, 2010

The New Reason...Why Blog?

It certainly feels awkward. Ever since I decided to begin writing a blog, I immediately found the reason not compelling enough to motivate me to write when I can be either doing some work (my primary business), or siting on a couch watching sitcoms or playing FB games. So what was the initial reason...it was to write the every little thing about the events that happen between us (Pik Yeng & I) and Rei Herng, our new born son. The idea was to write down how we feel as parents raising him and perhaps after 2 or 3 decades, when he gets married and have his first child, we can then share the link to the blog, like a present and allow him to read all about it.

Sounded good at first, because I imagine how thrilled I would be if I received such a gift from my parents. So why did I not find the motivation to do so? Like I said, soon after beginning to write, I no long find the reason meaningful. I thought to myself, if I do want to give my experience as a father as a gift to my son when he becomes one, I will tell him myself! Through all the learning in my line of work, training, especially while researching into great work of Virginia Satir, I want to have great communication with my son. I want to be able to share all my thoughts and feelings with him. I want to be able to tell him how I felt raising him. I want to be able to have open discussions about his choices, his future as well as my choices and my future. Bottom line is this, I want him to know me through me, not through a computer screen or any other forms of display that we will use in 20 or 30 years time.

So now what, give up on writing? Honest, I have never been much of a writer. Always have this limiting thought that my command of English is not good enough. Also, other limiting thoughts like, "who would want to read what's in my mind?" But hey, my life is owned by me and it is uniquely mine. In Virginia Satir's famous "My Declaration of Self-Esteem", she said, "I own me, and therefore I can engineer me" Understanding this has helped me appreciate other people's opinions and views, but not be affected by them.

I don't like writing, but I do love sharing things that I have learnt. Whether an idea is profound or simple, so long as it adds value to my life, I hope to share it and add value to others'. So this is my NEW reason to blog, hoping to contribute to this world in a way or two. This is my life mission.

Stay tuned if you are interested to see, listen or feel what I've gone through in life and hopefully you'll find something useful.

0 comments:

Post a Comment